Looking to avoid postage charges or take a few more bottles? Our 15-bottle cases are the answer! Click Here

250 Points worth £2.50 when you Register with Exel Wines & Collect more Points with each Purchase. Click Here to Get Started!

Deltetto Roero Arneis San Michele 2017 (1x 75cl)

The 2015 vintage was awarded 94 points and Highly Recommended status by Decanter (www.decanter.com) in their October 2016 edition 'Spurrier's World' feature (see blue link below). Please note that the 2017 vintage has a new style of label.

Deltetto Roero Arneis San Michele 2015 - October 2016 Decanter review

When Antonio Deltetto took over from his father in his early twenties in 1977, he was fresh from university and full of new winemaking ideas that his father's meticulous cultivation of traditional varieties allowed him to develop. This spirit of innovation has stayed with him and he has passed this on to his children Carlo, Cristina and Claudia, who now all work for the estate. The estate covers 21 hectares of vineyard in the Roero, the gently hilly region on the northern bank of the Tanaro. The soil is sandier in this area and, as a result, the wines are more aromatic and less structured than those from the Langhe hills on the south bank.

The grapes come from the San Michele vineyard, which was planted in 1975 and is the oldest Arneis vineyard on the family's estate. In the past, a church was always built on top of a hill so that the saint could protect the harvest from any kind of natural disaster, thus the name for the Cru San Michele. Yields are 45 hectolitres per hectare.

The 2017 vintage saw a dry winter and freezing temperatures in April. The rest of spring and summer were very dry. Harvest started one week earlier than in 2016. Despite dry weather, which led to a 20% reduction in yield, the grapes were very healthy and rich in flavours and aromas.

The grapes underwent a short cold maceration in order to extract more flavour. 30% of the must was then fermented in new French oak barriques at a temperature of 18°C, followed by six months of ageing in French oak barriques. While the remaining 70% was fermented in cement and stainless-steel tanks, then aged in cement and stainless-steel tanks. The final blend was put together in spring before bottling.

This wine is straw yellow in colour, with a bouquet of exotic fruit, apples and vanilla, the Roero Arneis has a minerally character which lifts the fruit aromas. A lively freshness on the finish gives excellent balance.

Bottle Size: 75cl
Country: Italy
Region: Piedmont
Grape Variety: Arneis
Organic: Yes
Vegan: Yes
Delivery: Usually ships in 5-10 working days
Product Code: ITPI0125B17S
£15.95