Sorry - this product is no longer available
Domaine Etienne Sauzet Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru La Garenne 2016 (1x 75cl)
Domaine Etienne Sauzet, located in the village of Puligny-Montrachet, is arguably one of Puligny's finest domaines. The domaine was established in the 1920s and at its height, had 12 hectares of vines. Etienne's daughter inherited the vineyards and left them to her three children. As a result the vineyard holdings total less than nine hectares. Today, the next generation has taken over with Emilie, Jeanine’s daughter, running the domaine with her winemaker husband Benoît Riffault. Etienne Sauzet purchases grapes from family and trusted growers. They have been practicing biodynamic viticulture for the last seven years. The portion of new oak in the cellar has also been reduced in recent years to allow the elegance of the fruit to shine through.
Gerard calls this wine 'the Chablis of Puligny'. Soils are calcareous and poor. The Domaine practices sustainable viticulture. All vineyard work, such as debudding to control yield and open up the canopy, are done by hand, as is harvesting. Vines are Guyot trained.
Grapes were hand harvested and subjected to sorting in the vineyard and at the winery if required. Whole bunches were pressed in a pneumatic press for two hours, which gave a gentle pressure to keep aromatics and delicate fruit aromas and flavours. Fermentation took place in old barrels and lasted approximately one month. The wine was aged in 20% new oak for 12 months, while the remaining 80% was aged in older oak aged between two and three years. Using a small proportion of new oak allowed the elegance of the fruit to come through while adding a delicate complexity. The wine was aged for a further 9-10 months in stainless steel tanks after racking off the fine lees. Fining was performed with bentonite, before light filtration and gravity-fed bottling.
This Puligny 1er Cru is all about minerality and length. This is an elegant, almost austere wine with superb precision and depth.
Usually ships in 5-10 working days