250 Points worth £2.50 when you Register with Exel Wines & Collect more Points with each Purchase. Click Here to Get Started!

Felton Road Block 5 Pinot Noir 2016 (1x75cl)

** THIS WINE IS NOW IN VERY SHORT SUPPLY IN THE UK - PLEASE CALL US IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO ORDER **

Awarded 95 points and rare Outstanding status by Decanter (www.decanter.com) in their July 2018 edition article on New Zealand Pinot Noir (see blue link below)

Felton Road Block 5 Pinot Noir 2016 - July 2018 Decanter review

Beginning with meticulous site selection and vineyard design started in 1991, Felton Road's story is one of refusal to compromise. A strict 100% estate policy with fully organic and biodynamic viticulture (Demeter certified) ensures that the fruit arrives at the winery as pure as it can be, while the entire estate comes as close to true sustainability as is possible. A commitment to hands off winemaking: gravity flow, wild yeasts, wild malolactic, an avoidance of fining and filtration all help preserve the wine's expression of its terroir. The result is Riesling, Chardonnay and Pinot Noir, which accurately express the authenticity and complexity of their unique vineyards.

Felton Road's Block 5 is situated within the Elms Vineyard which lies in a gently sloping, north facing valley cut into the Bannockburn hills at the southern extremity of the Cromwell Basin of Central Otago.

Around 25% of the grapes used to make this wine were kept in whole bunches with the remaining 75% being meticulously destemmed, then fed into fermenters using only gravity. There is a lengthy pre-fermentation soak of 7 - 8 days before the fermentation  is allowed to begin. Indigenous yeasts are used and during fermentation the skins are punched down 3 times a day.  This is done over a period of a minimum of 21 days. The wine is then transferred to barrels ( a third of these are made using new French Oak) and the wine is left to mature for 17 months.  The wine is racked twice before being bottled without fining or filtration.

Winemakers comments: "Immediately the pedigree is obvious: loaded with dark fruit and dried herbs, with hints of smoked meat over a complex spice background. The palate leads with a silky, chocolate like sensation that builds and flows to every corner of the mouth. There is a harmony of different textural components that's enchanting and endlessly enticing. It's all about finesse, detail and honesty, no more and no less."

** THIS WINE IS NOW IN VERY SHORT SUPPLY IN THE UK - PLEASE CALL US IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO ORDER **

Bottle Size: 75cl
Country: New Zealand
Region: Central Otago
Grape Variety: Pinot Noir
Delivery: Usually ships in 10-15 working days
Product Code: NZCO0005B16S
£60.05