250 Points worth £2.50 when you Register with Exel Wines & Collect more Points with each Purchase. Click Here to Get Started!

Sorry - this product is no longer available

Mongeard Mugneret Richebourg Grand Cru 2009 (1x 75cl)

Vincent Mongeard and wife Anne are the current custodians of Mongeard-Mugneret, one of Burgundy's great domaines. The estate was founded when Vincent's grandparents pooled vineyard resources in the 1920s. Today, they have 33 hectares, stretching from Beaune in the south to Marsannay in the north and ranging from basic Bourgogne to holdings in Grand Crus such as Richebourg, Clos de Vougeot, Echézeaux and Grands Echézeaux.

When it comes to his vineyards Vincent takes an intelligent and pragmatic view: "I adopt many of the practices of organics and biodynamics," he says. "But all of our vineyards are different and require different approaches, so the use of one philosophy would not give the quality we're looking for." Because of this, and because of the distance between his vineyards, the harvest lasts for over a month. He destems all his wines (except for the Richebourg) and discards about 8-10% of the grapes on his sorting table. The 50 year old vines are Guyot pruned. In the spring severe debudding takes place to regulate the crop. A green harvest is carried out in the summer to increase the chances of high quality and maturity. Yields are around 40 hectolitres per hectare.

The grapes were 25% de-stemmed (leaving 75% whole clusters) and underwent a cold maceration for 4-5 days. Fermentation took place in stainless steel tanks at 30ºC for 12-15 days. A gentle pressing of the grapes was made to extract a good level of tannins. The free run juice and the press juice were unified in stainless steel tanks before being run off by gravity into French oak barrels, 100% new. The wine underwent malolactic fermentation and was then aged for a period of 18-22 months before being bottled without filtering.

Generously oaked with spicy red, blue, black and floral aromas followed by big, robust, powerful, intense and rich flavours. Long and impeccably balanced on the finish.

Bottle Size: 75cl
Country: France
Region: Burgundy
Grape Variety: Pinot Noir
Availability: 6 in stock for next-working-day delivery when ordered by 12pm
No further stock available
Product Code: FRBG0477B09S