Looking to avoid postage charges or take a few more bottles? Our 15-bottle cases are the answer! Click Here

250 Points worth £2.50 when you Register with Exel Wines & Collect more Points with each Purchase. Click Here to Get Started!

Sorry - this product is no longer available

San Leonardo Terre di San Leonardo, IGT, Vigneti delle Dolomiti 2013 (1x 75cl)

More than 1000 years ago, it was a monastery, but for over 3 centuries now San Leonardo has served as the residence of the Marquis Guerrieri Gonzaga family. Today, the San Leonardo estate is a garden of vineyards and roses, protected by the massive barrier of the Alps, which blunt the force of the cold northern winds, while the valley floor benefits from, and in turn releases, warmth from nearby Lake Garda. The Tenuta remains in an ancient world, in which winemaking practices, still uncompromisingly artisanal, yield wines that are true gems of Italy’s wine tradition, marked by freshness, harmony, and an innate elegance. 

This wine is the result a of meticulous selection from Tenuta di San Leonardo's grapes. The grapes are only picked when perfectly ripe during the months of September and October.

The grapes are destemmed and soft-crushed, with minimal use of sulphur dioxide. The juice then ferments and macerates on the skins for a long period of time, during which the cap is punched down daily. The must is coldclarified by allowing the lees to settle.

The wine is aged using 2 methods: 80% is aged for 18 months in big Slavonian oak barrels and the remaining 20% in French barriques for at least 6 months. The wine is then aged in bottle for at least six months before it is released onto the market.

Terre di San Leonardo is a brilliant ruby red, with attractive depth of colour. The aromas are alcohol and fruit-rich when the wine is young, later mellowing with bottle age into ripe plum fruit layered over a faintly grassy background note. Dry, soft and well-balanced on the palate, it reveals a pleasing bitterish twist in the finish. It has good aromatic length.

Bottle Size: 75cl
Country: Italy
Region: Trentino Alto Adige
Grape Variety: Cabernet Sauvignon | Merlot | Petit Verdot | Cabernet Franc | Carmenere
Delivery: Not Available
Product Code: ITTA0084B13S