** THE NEW GRAN RESERVA FROM LA RIOJA ALTA!! **
Awarded a Platinum medal and 97 points at the 2019 Decanter World Wine Awards (click link for details)
Awarded 92 points and Highly Recommended status by Decanter (www.decanter.com) in their August 2019 edition's Spurrier's Fine Wine World (see blue link below).
Quality, elegance, innovation, evolution... They are the pillars on which the five founding families erected La Rioja Alta winery in 1890 and built a way of living, feeling and producing wines of the highest quality that continue to evolve subtly, perfectly adapting to new tastes. This is how the permanent pursuit of excellence started; a pursuit that continues into the 21st century with identical enthusiasm. They draw the best from their winemaking tradition and wisdom — their own cooperage, manual racking, long ageing periods, etc — and combine it with the most modern winemaking technology. Today, La Rioja Alta wines are an international exemplar of the great wines of Rioja.
See blue link below for the excellent fiche technique/technical note from the winemakers at La Rioja Alta.
The Arana 2012 is a brand new Gran Reserva from La Rioja Alta to complement its fabled 890 and 904 labels. It is not a rebadge of the Arana Reserva (although LRA have made that trickier to explain by plumping for a name already in use!), using, as it does, a different blend of grape varieties and drawn from different vineyards. The wine was named after one of the families that have long been at the helm of La Rioja Alta, a company founded in 1895. This wine will replace the original Arana Reserva, whose last vintage was 2011, and will only be made in vintages that meet the winemaker’s high standards.
95% Tempranillo, 5% Graciano.
Dark-cherry red with a garnet-red rim. High aromatic intensity, with outstanding notes of ripe red fruit, red berries, wild strawberries and plum jam, leading to tertiary aromas from meticulous aging in oak: vanilla, cedar, tobacco, coffee, caramel and sweet patisserie notes. In the mouth, its initial freshness and structure, typical of this brand, predominate. Balanced, with soft, flavoursome tannins. Elegant, complex finish, where the ripe red fruit and balsamic notes provide a splendid end.
ABV = 13.5%.
This Albariño estate in Rías Baixas was acquired by La Rioja Alta S.A. in 1988, when the company, formed by five Rioja winemaking families in 1895, took the bold decision to cease white Rioja production and find somewhere to produce a better Spanish white wine. The Galician winery was rebuilt - twice - and the vineyards expanded from five to 65 hectares. The project has been run throughout by Ángel Suárez, who found a microclimate and planted and vinified in such a way to produce Albariño of remarkable balance - citrus acidity, stone-fruit aromatics and great structure.
See blue link below for the excellent fiche technique/technical note from the winemakers at Lagar de Cervera/La Rioja Alta.
Yellow with green hues; clean and bright. Outstandingly intense aromas, with hints of stone fruit (peaches), white fruit (pears and ripe apples) and quince, in addition to a remarkable lemon leaf citrus background. A flavoursome mouth is accompanied by an enjoyable breadth and freshness, together with a very well-integrated acidity. Very persistent, fruit-forward finish. Perfect to enjoy with any appetiser. It is the ideal companion to seafood and fish, as well as salads, rice dishes, fowl, and fresh cheese. Ideal in combination with Asian dishes, for example, with sushi or sashimi.
ABV = 12.5%.
In 1995, a century after five winemaking families combined to form the winery society of La Rioja Alta S.A., the company expanded into Rioja Alavesa, acquiring the Torre de Oña estate. Under the influence of the technical maestro Julio Sáenz, the understanding of the terroir and improvements in the winemaking process have gone from strength to strength. The winery’s three Tempranillo-dominated bottlings, the intense Torre de Oña Reserva, rare Martelo and the more approachable Finca San Martín Crianza, give a precious insight into Rioja’s remarkably nuanced terroirs. Terroir, serenity, elegance, individuality, timelessness – the keywords of Torre de Oña.
See the blue link below for full details of this wine in the excellent fiche technique/technical note from the winemakers at La Rioja Alta.
Tempranillo 95%. Mazuelo, Garnacha and Viura make up the other 5% of this wine.
It stands out for its ruby-red intensity. Clean and bright, it shows a marked garnet-red rim. The nose reveals very intense red fruit, raspberries, cherries and cranberries, enveloping balsamic and spicy aging notes: vanilla, liquorice, dark chocolate and cloves. Outstanding freshness and balance in the mouth, coupling a pleasant acidity with silky, fatty tannins that give it a good structure and a pleasant mouthfeel. Long, well-balanced aftertaste, promising great persistence over time as it ages in the bottle.
ABV = 14.5%.