The history of Tullibardine as a location for brewing and distilling dates back to the 15th Century. The story begins in 1488 when the young King James IV stopped at Tullibardine before his coronation to purchase beer from the local brewery. The brewery which was known for producing fine beer as a result of the local water source was granted a royal charter in 1503. In 1947 William Delmé-Evans began converting the brewery into the Tullibardine Distillery that we know today. He made his decision after testing the water from the nearby springs and discovering it was perfect for distilling whisky. The water comes from the Ochil Hills and is Drawn from the Danny Burn. (This is the same water source used by Highland Spring for their bottled water.)
The auburn hue of this whisky comes directly from the time it has spent in 228 litre barriques that held Pinot Noir from Chateau de Chassagne Montrachet. The aromas of the 228 feature red cherries and vanilla with hints of chocolate and Turkish Delight. On the palate there is a good hint of red summer fruit, more chocolate and a sweet spice note on the finish.